There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Lighter will be receiving submissions from Valparaiso University students from Friday January 21st until 11:59 pm on Sunday March 13th. Everyone should be notified of their submission's status by April 3rd -- if you don't hear back by then, contact us. For a taste of previous selections, check out our archives.
UPDATE: Please read the submission form instructions carefully since we are constantly learning and improving to find what works best!
- All Valpo students can submit up to 4 pieces** of any previously-unpublished form of art (poetry, prose, screen and playwriting, creative nonfiction, photography, fine art, graphic design, hybrids, etc.).
- This could be a combination of 2 photos, 1 poem, and 1 short story, or it could be 4 paintings, etc. But, please fill out the form separately for each upload.
- You can fill out this submission form up to 4 times.
- Title your work-- it helps us get a better understanding of your work/what you were going for.
- Submit every piece as a separate file with the title saved as "Title_Medium" (Example: Breezy Breath_Poem, Goldfish_Graphite, etc.). Do NOT include your name in the file title.
- If you would like to receive feedback, you must mark so as well as submit your work by 11:59 pm on Sunday February 6th!
- THIS FORM IS FOR VALPO STUDENTS! Please submit your work on an account set up with your university email. If you do not, we may not be able to verify your affiliation with the university.
- Make sure you do not have your name anywhere in/on your work because we review them anonymously
All submissions are presented as anonymous when reviewed and voted on by our Selection Committee. Students' race, ethnicity, gender, and/or sexual orientation will never affect the status of their submission; all are welcome to submit. The editor reserves the right to reject works for reasons that violate our Non-Discrimination Policy.
If your submission does not follow our guidelines, we cannot accept it. We're always adjusting and learning so if you have any questions or concerns, email us at email@example.com
We deeply appreciate the courage it takes to submit your work; we're thrilled and honored to be a part of your creative process.
“To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” --Kurt Vonnegut